Monday, July 15, 2013

A Monday memory

Among the many blessings in my life that I hold dear is a longstanding friendship of over forty years with the young woman who was also assigned to "Room 309, Monican Centre" in our freshman college dorm.

We've shared so much more than just a room over time - from Freshman angst to swapping childhood stories and many articles of clothing.  After graduation, we shared a basement apartment, surviving noisy neighbors, cockroaches and the fear of starting our "careers."

I married and had three girls, and D married and had two.  We are godmothers to each other's second daughters.  Living four hours apart made frequent visits difficult, but we tried to get together at least once a year when the girls were young.

My little "gang" and I would arrive at D's house on a Summer's morning.  After greetings and hugs, the little ones would gradually overcome their shyness and start to play.  D and I would try sitting at the kitchen table to catch up, while keeping an eye on them, but it seemed as though someone was always vying for our attention.

Then, as if by magic, D's husband would slip those five little girls out of the house and take them off to go bowling or some other excursion.  This was always followed by a trip to the ice cream shop. While they were gone, D and I would polish off a pot of coffee while talking non-stop. H gave us the gift of a few precious, uninterrupted hours to reminisce and share.  D and I truly needed that and he knew it.  

Upon their return to the house, H would continue giving us a respite.  He would make what soon became, to my girls and I, his famous "spaghetti sauce" - then serve up a delicious pasta meal for all.  If D and I protested that we should be helping, H would just smile and tell us he had it all under control. God bless him, he certainly did.

H slipped quietly from this Earth last week, following a period of decline in his health.  Shocked and saddened by the news, I take comfort, as does his family, that they were all together at that time.  

I am so very grateful for the wonderful memories that keep flooding back the last few days, of the times we all spent together.  Moments.  Precious moments.  

And may precious moments of memories of H give strength and comfort to my dear friend and her daughters now, and always.




No comments:

Post a Comment