Monday, July 1, 2013

A Monday memory....


There are a few occasions during my life when I have actually been happy to be proven wrong about something.  Thirty five years ago, today, happened to be one of them.

My sister had kindly invited me to spend a weekend with her and three friends who had rented a house for a month on Long Beach Island.  After picking up the keys for the 1st floor accommodation of a two family home, we drove up to the address and parked.  As we got out, we noticed two guys on the upstairs balcony checking us out.  We ignored them.  After unpacking and donning our bathing suits,  we got out some lawn chairs, slapped on some baby oil and pointed ourselves in the direction of the sun  in the tiny backyard.  A short time later, the two "balcony guys" accompanied by two others, came into the yard.

"We have a proposition for you," one of them stated.  "If you'll provide the salad, we'll provide the steaks and we could have dinner together. What'd ya say?"

Hmmmm.  We mentioned that there would be three other girls coming later.  Their response to that  was along the lines of "the more the merrier."  Though usually pretty cautious, my sister and I agreed.  Maybe we felt there would be safety in numbers or that these guys looked harmless.  Or maybe it was that our funds were extremely limited and frankly, we were hungry.

A short time later, we headed off to the local supermarket in search of salad fixins.  As we perused the aisles, my sister started to load up the cart. And I quickly started to unload it - stating, "I wouldn't invest a fortune on this.  These guys don't look too promising."

Oh, how wrong I turned out to be.

For among those four guys turned out to be The Englishman.  And the rest, as they say, is history.

That was July 1, 1978.  We had our first proper date two weeks later. By the third week of August we were engaged and we married in February.

Today the Englishman pointed out to me that with our move back close to where we met, we have now come full circle. We are back where we started.  I must say, it's wonderful place to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment