Monday, July 8, 2013

A Monday memory....

The unpacking and rearranging continues.  Earlier today I decided to empty the Englishman's depository for spare change, a "sailboat" which sits upon the kitchen hutch.  As I shook the coins into a plastic bag, I found myself looking for "wheaties." 

What are wheaties, you ask?

Years and years ago, my Dad read that due to design changes in the penny, those with the "wheat" design on the back were becoming scarce. He suggested we start to collect them as they might be worth something one day.  

Thus began what turned out to be years of turning over every penny I came across in hopes of discovering yet one more wheatie.  I gave my father each find and between the two of us, the stash started to mount up.  The whole endeavor became more about the joy of finding yet one more for him, than about the potential worth.  When he passed away, my mother gave me the jars in which the collection were held.  I still have them, safely tucked away. (Though with the move, their exact whereabouts is not currently known.)  

So, back to the unpacking.  Out of habit, I suppose,  I found myself closely watching the coins as they tumbled into the bag.  While noticing that quarters and nickels are almost foreign looking to me now, I spotted an old looking nickel.  Pulling it out, I looked at the date and saw "1941" and thought, "Well, you'd think that was a find, Dad, right?"  My next thought was that surely all the wheat pennies have been found by now because it's been a very long time since one turned up in my possession.  No sooner did I think that when I spotted a wheatie!  "Oh, Dad" I cried out loud, "we found another one!"


A silly thing to most people but a very significant one for me.

Out of curiosity, I "googled" the potential worth of this particular coin, dated "1957" and found it is worth between 15 and 60 cents, depending on the condition.  Dad was right!  If I ever find I can part with all these pennies, considering their sentimental value, I might end up with a nice chunk of change.

Wondering what might be hiding in your spare change container?

No comments:

Post a Comment