Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....


Taking care of me....

Time once again to start taking my own advice.  I frequently suggest to family members and friends that it's important to take care of oneself.  For many of us, that often feels contrary to what we think we should be doing - that we should be putting all our energy into caring for family and doing our jobs first. But I've come to learn that the advice that is given on a plane before take off is the better approach to remember and take: 
"Place the oxygen mask on yourself before assisting others."

How can I possibly expect to care for someone else if I'm not well?

Taking good care of myself enables me to be in the best shape to love and care for those around me.  That means getting plenty of sleep, eating right, having regular checkups and getting some exercise.

Just as important is having fun, as well as some quiet time to myself.
Keeping a balance between the amount of work I do and the rest time I take can make a huge difference in how I respond to requests from others.

The remnants of my cough and a pulled muscle in my back have forced me to slow way down the past two days and "just rest" as the Englishman suggests.
So I am resting.  And it's helping.
What a great suggestion!

No comments:

Post a Comment