Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....

Middle of the road is the place to be.....

in life, as well as on the highway.

While "motoring" in my Mini Cooper  through several states last week, I made a point of staying in the center lane as often as possible.  Statistically, they find that is the safest lane to be in.  You avoid the merging traffic on the right and those trying to pass on the left.

For the most part, I was successful in my choice of center lane and felt most comfortable there.
  But again, as in life, one has to adapt to the reality of the situation at hand.

For instance, not everyone follows the rules of the road, so to speak:
People insist on texting while driving, though I can't imagine what is so important that they put their (and my) life at risk.
Blinkers are optional.  Tailgating, especially by women, is standard behavior.
New Jersey drivers seem to think that the Garden State Parkway has been converted to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, thus requiring a weaving across three lanes, whilst narrowly missing other vehicles.
Which gives them, I suppose, the thrill and excitement of "Will we make it, won't we make it?"

Then there were the tractor trailers.
As I was growing up, I paid close attention to my Dad's suggestions as he would drive.  He often pointed out that the drivers of tractor trailers usually have a deadline to make and that you should not play games with them nor slow them down.

Trust me, when you look in the rear view mirror of a tiny vehicle and see the massive grille front of a tractor trailer barreling down and  heading straight for the "boot" of your car, you realize quite quickly (after invoking God's name) that switching lanes is the wisest course of action.

Highway driving also gives you the opportunity to do a kindness for someone.  For example, noticing that the slow down in traffic is due to compressing three lanes in to two, you can actually allow enough room for other cars to slip in front of you without effort. This can be met with a wave of gratitude.  
Which can be a welcome change from rude gestures.

What have I learned from my recent travels?  Several life lessons:

The "middle" is the best place to be.
Anticipate changes and adapt as necessary.
Be cautious, not fearful.
Give other people a break.
And most importantly, 
Enjoy the ride.






No comments:

Post a Comment