Friday, August 10, 2012

Putting the day to bed....

Putting the day to bed, so to speak, is a nightly ritual I perform in which ever house we currently reside.  Following our evening meal, usually prepared by the Englishman, I scrub up the pots and pans, then generally tidy up the kitchen.  Curtains are drawn, shades pulled down and the lights are dimmed.  I take a few moments to go off either to my office or bedroom and write in my "gratitude journal" at least five things that brought a smile to my face or filled me with joy during the day.  Slipping into something cozy like pajamas and slippers, signals I'm in settling in for the evening.  I gather my phone, iPad, current reading material and crocheting project.  The biggest challenge, of course, is finding a spot on the couch amongst the basset hounds.  At this stage of my life, I find real pleasure in the simple, ordinary tasks of everyday life.

*Programming note:  Tom Brokaw will be exploring Great Britain's WWII resolve in a special called, "Their Finest Hour", Saturday evening, at 8pm.  It will explore the extraordinary courage and determination the British exhibited during the war.  Brokaw told TV Guide Magazine. "Against great odds, the UK kept Hitler from using this island nation as a launching pad for expanding his evil empire. We owe this country and that time a great debt."      The Englishman and I are looking forward to seeing it.  Hope you'll tune in.  



1 comment: