Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tip for a Tuesday....

Feeling "crafty"?  Looking for a project?  Want to "support the troops"?

Then grab your crochet hooks or knitting needles and check out the Operation Gratitude website for all the details on how you can make some scarves to send to our men and women serving overseas.  

Simply click on the link below and it will take you directly to the page of detailed instructions for how you can help.



For several years, while my nephew, then future son-in-law, and several of their friends were serving our country in the Iraq war, I sent letters, cards and care packages.  My daughters did the same, sending out something on a daily basis.  The Principal at the school where I was teaching then was very supportive of my wish to send as many cards as possible to a list of about twelve men and women that we knew and I was able to reach out to all the teachers from 8th Grade down to Pre-K, receiving cards from every student for each holiday.  My own class sent cards and letters on a weekly basis.

I received back numerous letters of sincere thanks from those we were in touch with.  They really appreciated the fact that even strangers wanted to take the time to show they cared.  So I know first hand how much even a small gesture can mean to someone serving overseas.

Since we no longer personally know of anyone currently serving, daughter #1 and I have been sending scarves for several years now to Operation Gratitude.  I even got my mother's live-in caretaker, who was with her for a few years, to participate once I found out she could crochet!

Here are the scarves I've made so far for this year's drive.



As you can see, I am not at all talented when it comes to crocheting.  I know but two or three stitches to make.  It truly is "the thought that counts" with my endeavors and I send them on with prayers for the recipients safe return.

Please consider checking out Operation Gratitude.  Knitting or crocheting is a wonderful way to quiet one's mind while at the same time feeling productive.  It certainly works for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment