Monday, March 3, 2014

A Monday memory....


While recently tidying up the bedroom we've dedicated for the grandchildren, I came across several of my class photos from grammar school.  Hard to believe, but my oldest granddaughter attended pre-school last year in the same exact classroom in which the bottom left photo was taken, when I graduated from Kindergarten.

I don't know how those Sisters and Teachers coped with such large classes.  Sizes ranged from forty two to over fifty students sometimes.  Yet we managed to learn and often thrive under their care.  Different times, I suppose.

This morning's heavy snowfall brought back memories of school snow days and boots. 
Yes, boots.
Back in the "old days" the boots I wore on snow days were white plastic (similar to the ones in the picture) and were pulled on over my shoes.  They fit nicely, but with one crucial drawback.  They were open at the top, which often allowed for a significant amount of snow to enter whenever I had navigate deep snow piles.  
Result?  Wet socks and shoes, and a miserable me.  

My Dad soon came up with a concrete fix.  
Electrical tape.
He would wind thick, black electrical tape round and round the top section of my boots, thus securely them tightly and preventing any snow or water from entering.

Workable? Yes.  Practical? No.

Obviously, my Dad accompany me to school in order to wrap and unwrap my boots.
Fortunately, there soon followed a new boot design for girls and women.  A lined pull on boot, which came up to my knees and did not require shoes.  Perfect.

Now - to tie this tale back to my school days....
What to do with all those wet boots trudging into the classroom each day? 
We were required to take them off when we got to the classroom and change into a pair of shoes, which hopefully, were in our bookbags. (aka backpacks)
We were then to add our boots to the line forming in the hallway outside our classroom, firmly pressing the heels against the walls.  There was even a "boot monitor" who was tasked with making sure all the boots were lined up correctly, thus ensuring safe travels up and down the halls.

The system worked quite well.
The only problem came on those days on which I forgot my shoes and would have to wear my boots all   day   long.
Still, hot sweaty feet beat cold wet feet any day.

1 comment: