Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blessed....

Today is our 33rd Wedding Anniversary.  On the one hand, that sounds like such a very long time to be married.  Yet on the other, it seems like only yesterday....

When the Englishman and I were caught in the midst of wedding plan chaos, in part caused by my mother's insistence that I actually make some decisions regarding dress, flowers, music, etc., I was quickly feeling overwhelmed.  It was the Englishman who put it all into perspective for me.  He said, "It's about the being married, not the getting married."

From that moment on it felt as though everything fell into place.  The details no longer mattered to me.  We didn't need a fairy-tale wedding, everything didn't have to be perfect. Spending the rest of our lives together was what was important - not the ceremony that would mark the beginning of our journey together.

The being married has been the most wonderful adventure, far better than anything I had planned or imagined. We are still discovering new things about each, even after so many years. We truly enjoy just being together.  Truth be told - I don't think I would change a thing.  The difficult times have brought us as many lessons and rewards as the happiest of days.  Of course the ultimate joy of our marriage came in the form of three amazing daughters!


This sign, which hangs in my office and was given to me by daughter #1, says it all:


to hear the laughter of a CHILD
to wake up next to the LOVE of your life,
to know that God has placed these angels on earth for you....
YOU ARE BLESSED

I am.  I truly am blessed!

1 comment: