Monday, February 13, 2012

It's my job....

I recently started to move a few things around in my office in an effort to create a "room of my own".  In the process, the Englishman removed a table and desk which sat under the largest window in the room.  Since its departure, our oldest basset hound has decided this needs to be his new post:


At first it was kinda cute - he would woof at me as if to say, "I need you to help me up into the chair."  He would then begin to scan the horizon in search of "danger".  Unfortunately, in Dudley's mind, old ladies with walkers apparently pose a real threat to our security, so he would start to bark whenever he saw one in the parking lot of the dentist's office located across the road.  No amount of reassurance convinced him they were on our side, so after several attempts at quieting him, I would have to nudge him back down to the floor.

Duds has found a few ways around that, one of which is rushing into the dining room and jumping up to look out the window in there.  That activity then summons his partner in crime, Bentley, who jumps up alongside him as if to say, "I'm with you, bro!". The Englishman, trying to conduct business in the house, will then come upon the scene and with a baritone of "Get down" all is quiet again.

The saga continues.....  My office is still a work in progress which means that Dudley's lookout points are still changing.   As frustrating as it can get with a dog who is ever watchful, it is comforting to know he is looking out for us. And when the Englishman is off on a business trip,  I wouldn't have it any other way!

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. My red & white basset also seems to think elderly ladies pose a danger...as well as middle school girls walking home, cats, squirrels, other dogs, and our mailman (even when he doesn't get out of the mail truck). We're working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well personally speaking - some of those elderly ladies with walking thingy's DO pose a threat! Hve you been food shopping lately?

    ReplyDelete