Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tip for a Tuesday....

Slipcovers

If I were given the chance to start from scratch with decorating my house I would most definitely do a few things differently.  Pretty is NOT practical, I've learned, especially when there are two and four legged friends scurrying around the house.

Unlike upholstered pieces, the slipcovers on couches and chairs can be removed and washed!

I have always loved the style and appearance of this sofa, or "settee" as the Englishman calls it, in our living room.  We purchased it many years ago for a room which was off limits to the children.  Life has changed since then, with a couple of moves and the addition of dogs and grandchildren.  Unfortunately, one of the basset hounds has decided this couch is just the right size for him.  I hate to admit it, but I've relented and he's been on it a few times.  But I am not giving in on the two remaining chairs in the room.  They're mine and I am not sharing.


The sofa below, located at our "retirement house", was purchased after experience taught me to be more practical.  The entire sofa is covered in heavy canvas material which can be removed and washed. I've tried it and it works!

As you can see, the boys are allowed on this one with no fear of me chasing them off.  Don't they look content there?



The Englishman is right when he says we are just a couple of old softies and despite all the dog hair, I'm awfully glad we are.

2 comments:

  1. Just look how comfortable they are! Makes you feel all warm inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just been researching some slipcovers online! My couches are in pretty good shape but I hate the color now and am looking for something I can clean easily!

    ReplyDelete