Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday's thought for the day....

"Who's lookin at ya?"
                       ~ Ann R.
 My mother would frequently say this to me this when I was growing up.  If she asked me to run to the store or go out somewhere with her,  I generally had one of two replies.  Either I couldn't go because I didn't look right, or please wait while I change my outfit, put on makeup, and do my hair. 


Then came the question:  "Who's lookin at ya?"

I hate to admit this.  But she was right.  The whole world was not actually taking the time to notice me and how I looked.

 My mother probably heard that phrase from her Aunt Lizzie.  She was from Ireland and they were all about the humility in those days. The older I get the more I think they were on to something. Having some humility is a real asset. 

It's been a very long time since I've worried what "they" will think when I head out the door.  It's very freeing and certainly simplifies things when I'm getting dressed in the morning.


And yes, if I remember correctly, I did repeat the question to my girls as they were growing up.  Of course I always prefaced it with, "As your grandmother would say....."



No comments:

Post a Comment