Tuesday, February 14, 2012

St. Valentine's Day


How different this day is from when I was a school girl to what this "holiday" has grown to. While attending a Catholic grammar school, we prepared for the feast of St. Valentine as soon as the calendar turned to February.  Several students would work on decorating a "mail box" in which each of us would place Valentine cards for all of our classmates.  Some of you may remember the packets of cards we would get and how we would agonize over who received which one.  Our efforts would culminate with a party at the end of the day on the 14th, with the handing out of all the cards.  Simple, fun.  


By the time I reached college, the big badge of honor was to see who received a dozen roses from a boyfriend.  I remember one year several of the girls on our floor and I had large, luscious bouquets of which we were quite proud.  Sadly, due to the heat in the building, all those blooms were completely faded the next day.  What a waste of money and flowers I thought!


These days, if the advertisers are to be believed, you are a complete failure at love if you offer anything less than diamonds, lingerie, and a costly champagne dinner.  Now, it seems, the amount of love you feel is equal to the amount you spend.


Really?  How sad.


The research on St. Valentine points to a man or group of men, who were martyred in Rome, whose feast day was first marked back in 496.  The first representation of a single St. Valentine was in 1493, when he was arrested marrying couples in a Christian tradition. Ah, that must be when the association of St. Valentine and "love" found its beginning.  As the ad used to say, "We've come a long way baby" since then.


I've read several blog posts and comments today about the Valentine's Day holiday.  For me, I keep it very simple.  The Englishman and I exchange cards and sometimes indulge in some extra chocolate.  I dont' recall doing anything special with our girls as they were growing up, except to make sure they had cards for their classmates - every classmate - so no one was left out.


As others have noted, I feel lucky not to need a special day each year to remember to tell my husband, children and friends I love and care about them.  Through the loss of a beloved 5 year old nephew to cancer, a husband who has traveled to areas where bombings were a real threat, and loved ones serving tours of duty in Iraq, I know how precious life is and that it is important to say "I love you" on a daily, not yearly basis. 


To my family and friends, I love each of you for your uniqueness and the gifts I receive simply by knowing you.  May today, and every day of the year, bring you love, peace and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment