Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cake decorator?

Ummmm, no.

As you can clearly see from the photos below, cake decorating is most definitely not my forte.

According to the picture provided by the cake pan people, this is what the finished little cakes from the characters in the movie Cars should look like.


This is how mine turned out, as I rushed to finish them this morning.

I'm sure there are numerous people who possess the time, talent, and patience to replicate the cakes in the photo.  But I can't quite seem to do it.  I'm afraid I used my heart, rather than my head when I bought this cake pan.  I know I am not talented when it comes to such things, but my oldest granddaughter just loves Cars, especially Mater, the tow truck.  So I purchased it with her in mind, ignoring my lack of ability.

Now there was a very good reason why I attempted to make these today.   M usually spends a few hours with the Englishman and I every Sunday, but she was not able to come the past two weeks due to the four basset hounds currently occupying the house.  Each time I've seen her at her house during this time, she asks hopefully "I go Grandmom's house now?" I tried to explain about all the dogs and how they would probably knock her down.  M assured me, "But Grandmom, Duwey and Bentwey, (she's having a little trouble with her L's at the moment) LOVE me.  It will be alright.  I will tell them 'Down, boys' ".  Despite her confidence about handling the situation, I was not convinced I could cope with a toddler and four active dogs on my own.

Her parents stopped outside my house at dinner time last night to surprise me with some ice cream from Dairy Queen.  My daughter told me that when M had awakened from her nap that afternoon she had said she was sad.  When my daughter asked her why, she responded "I miss Grandmom".

So naturally, having heard that and being complete putty in this child's hands, I immediately promised to come and see her today and bring her a special treat.  Hence, the baking.  Though she is only three, I felt even M would be very disappointed with the results of my efforts, so instead I brought her an activity book I had been saving for her.  M and I played with it together, which actually worked out much better than the cakes would have.

As for continuing to develop my creative side - I think I'll stick with the unfinished wood pieces and paint for now. I seemed to have much better luck with that!

2 comments:

  1. Aww they came out cute I am sure your granddaughter would have thought they were just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. But the Englishman tried one when he returned from his long trip and had to admit they were not very good. It's ok. I'll try something else soon.

      Delete