Friday, March 16, 2012

Setting a trap......

When I returned to teaching several years ago, there was a section in the Third Grade Science book about "Simple Machines". It must have been Divine inspiration that I came up with the idea of combining that chapter with a special project for the students to work on.  Using the tools of a pulley, incline plane, or a lever, they were to build a trap to catch a Leprechaun.  And what an adventure it turned out to be!


The kids really got into the idea and had a lot of fun with it.  Once I had assigned the project, they hounded me with countless questions about Leprechauns - their size, likes and dislikes, and eating habits.  On March the 17th, they brought in their traps and set them up on their desks just before lunch.  Bursting with excitement, they would rush back into the classroom from lunch eager to see if any of them had been successful in catching at least one Leprechaun.  Though disappointed that their traps did not hold one of the "little people", they were however thrilled to find they had left a little treasure behind for each of them. Most years there was a chocolate coin on their desk and one class received coins from Great Britain.  Sometimes there was a sprinkling of Leprechaun "dust" (glitter) to add to the mystery.


I received such pleasure from watching the children's faces as they rushed around the room checking to see what tricks had been had in the classroom.  Chairs might have been overturned, books strewn on the floor.  Theories abounded for the rest of the day as to how the Leprechauns got in and I was questioned extensively about my whereabouts during lunchtime.  


I'd like to think that each year on St. Patrick's Day those students look back and remember some of the fun and magic that was had back in Third Grade.  I know I certainly do!



1 comment:

  1. Nice! I only wish that I could figure out why my superior traps still can't catch the little people. Also, they don't seem to be leaving me anything these days. Maybe time to revisit my trap making expertise.

    ReplyDelete