Friday, March 30, 2012

Diggin in the dirt....



When the going gets tough, as they say, I get going into the garden.  

When life begins to overwhelm, some women find getting their nails done or shopping for shoes as a form of relaxation. Not me.  Give me a bucket and some hand clippers and I am one happy camper.

I literally got down on my hands and knees in the dirt this afternoon and was totally content.  While the Englishman and the two basset hounds turned over soil in the back garden, I was pulling weeds and raking piles of dirt in the front.  And loving every minute of it.

Growing up in the suburbs, my family and I were truly blessed to have several acres of woods behind our house.  My siblings, friends and I could spend entire days there - playing make believe games, pushing our hands deep into the moist soil, wading in the brook and climbing trees. Those escapes are some of the sweetest memories I hold.

With the pace of life picking up speed around here, a few hours crawling on top of the flower beds was exactly what I needed to bring calm to my soul.  Perhaps my love of gardening is proof that I'm actually a bit of an English girl at heart.  Anyone seen my shovel?

No comments:

Post a Comment