Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Anyone remember the World's Fair?


If the above photo looks at all familiar to you, then I suspect you are pretty close in age to me.  This was the "Unisphere" the symbol of the New York World's Fair theme - "Peace Through Understanding".
The fair lasted two years - 1964/65 and was located in Flushing, Queens.

If you've been to Disney World and ridden on the "It's a Small World Ride", then you've experienced one of the many rides offered at the Fair.  It was all so exciting and futuristic.  There were numerous "pavilions"or buildings set up by various companies.  Many of them provided rides of a kind which would take you through their exhibits.  Bell Telephone had displays of what they envisioned phones of the future would look like.  They showed video screens on the phones, which enabled you to see the caller.  I remember thinking you would have to be sure to dress nicely every time the phone rang!

One of my few claims to fame, so to speak, is that I performed at the World's Fair.  My dance school scheduled us to dance several numbers at the New Jersey Pavilion.  I remember the stage, and the small audience before us, but whether I was performing a ballet number on toe or also did a jazz number is only a vague recollection.  But I did perform.  And I felt quite honored to do so and represent my State.

There were also buildings set up with displays and staff from countries around the world.  In thinking about it now, I guess it was a precursor to Epcot at Disney.  At the time, it was said there wasn't much financial success to the Fair and it was plagued with problems.  However, my family and I loved it and were lucky enough to go there numerous times.  I don't think you could possibly put a value on what we learned there, the excitement it generated for the tri-state area, and the vision into the future it offered us.  What memories!

2 comments:

  1. I loved the 64-65 World's Fair. In 7th and 8th grade we went on several school trips there. Living in Queens I was only about 2 miles away from the Fairgrounds and was able to bicycle there for quick outings or on the way to Shea for a Mets game. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your close proximity to the Fair! Lucky us to have been there!

      Delete