Monday, April 30, 2012

Join Us For A Spot of Tea....


"....with the bride-to-be!"


"Keep Calm and Marry On"

That was the theme for the Surprise Bridal Shower Daughters #1, #2 and I gave for my youngest who is going to marry in June.

Keeping the impending "tea" a surprise sometimes proved to be difficult, given the fact that these days all the members of our family are frequently texting one another, sometimes two or three people at a time.  Makes is a bit tricky to be sure you don't text about the party to the surprisee.  (Is that a word?  I'm making it one now!)

Thank goodness my daughters took the theme and ran with it - they coordinated getting together lists of attendees, favors, games, prizes, the works!  The invitations were absolutely adorable and perfectly depicted the British theme - from the title of this blog right down to urging the recipients to be "mum" because it was a surprise.

I volunteered to have the tea in my dining room.  Hence the frantic "Spring" cleaning I have been doing for the past several weeks.  From washing windows,  waxing furniture and rearranging bookshelves dozens of times, it was all go around here - I was on a mission!  And it was lovely to be able to use all the beautiful china we have acquired over the years.

The Englishman played a large part too.  He made all the scones for me and advised me about the types of sandwiches that were appropriate.  Even at the last moment, I found myself in the store texting him to double check I had the right type of bread.  He helped me move furniture and calmed me down when my voice would start to "soar".  Then he wisely took the two basset boys and departed late Friday for the house by the bay, so I could finish up without interruption.

Daughter #1 volunteered to then arrive and continue the role of "calmer" for those moments when I might   "lose" it.  It's been quite sometime since I had a group this big to entertain, so I admit to several moments of panic.  We finished setting the table and staging the house on Saturday.  Sunday morning was when we made the finger sandwiches,  put out the clotted cream, strawberry jam, and scones, and waited for everyone to arrive.  Oh, and I do admit, I was still planting flowers in windwo boxes about 40 minutes before guests arrived!

There were about a dozen ladies and my two darling granddaughters.  M, age 3, was very excited when she arrived.  She came in the door with my sister and pointed out to her, in case she didn't know, that "Christmas is over."  (M thought she was here for a birthday party.) M helped me greet the bride-to-be, when she entered with her fiance, who thought she was coming over to approve the wedding invitations.  The look of surprise and happiness on her face made all the preparations her sisters and I had made worth every ounce of effort.

We had a wonderful time, including me!  Everyone was relaxed and enjoyed the meal.  A friend of the family made her famous cream puffs which really added to the dessert selections.  M and the junior bridesmaid A, took on the duty of helping the bride-to-be open her gifts.  (It took no persuasion to get M to help - she jumped right in there!)  Lots of ooohs and aaaahs were heard round the table.  The happy couple received many beautiful things which they will be able to treasure throughout their married lives.

Did the day go perfectly?  Of course not.  By this age I've learned there is no perfect.  But it went very well and we all genuinely enjoyed it.  Isn't that the point?  Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat.

If you are thinking of giving an afternoon tea party, let me know.  I'd be happy to pass on what I've learned.





1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet,I envy what a great relationship your daughters have with you, good job on the surprise shower, and congrats to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete