Monday, April 2, 2012

You're wearing what?

One Saturday afternoon, in January of 1971, my mother and I set off on a shopping trip to find a shirt for me to wear to a high school party that night.  As we came up the escalator in Bambergers Department store, I remember seeing a display of mannequins right in front of us dressed in what could only be described at the time as "unique" outfits.

One mannequin was wearing a bright orange corduroy overalls of sorts, only the pants were actually cut as shorts.  (Quite similar to the model on the far right in the photo below.) They were advertised as "Hot Pants".  What was most shocking to me as we got closer to the display was my mother's comment that the outfit was adorable and that I should try it on.  Excuse me? MY mother, wanting ME to wear something daring?  The conservative woman from Manhattan who was always telling me my skirts were too short?


At her urging, I tried on the complete outfit shown on the display.  Then to my utter surprise, she purchased the whole thing for me - hot pants, shirt and navy tights. (It was winter after all.  The tights were a must!)

To say that the outfit caused a bit of a stir at the party that night would be an understatement.  The teenage boys at the party were quite taken with the new look. There were several shouts of "hey, hot pants!" called across the room.  The teenage girls at the party?  Well, they weren't so enthusiastic about the attention the outfit was drawing. There appeared to be an abundance of whispering and dirty looks thrown my way.  They didn't seem to approve of the new look.

And yet, the next Saturday night found all the same girls from the party sporting the now popular "hot pants". I guess the problem wasn't so much what I was wearing the previous week, as that I had been the first brave enough to don the new fashion.

The 1970's certainly blazed a new trail with some outrageous outfits for the times.  But looking at them now, they almost seem tame compared to today's fashion trends!

Personally, I'd like to see them bring back the clothes from the 1950's - especially the dresses.  With pockets.  I'm just saying......

No comments:

Post a Comment