Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Worth the wait!

I simply love lilacs!  Always have.  When I was growing up, my parents had the brilliant idea of planting a lilac bush just beneath the window of the bedroom my sister and I shared.  The scent was just glorious each Spring.  I can still see the large blossoms my mother would cut and place in a double handled black vase she had.  The color combination was stunning.

So for years after leaving home I longed to have a lilac bush of my own.  We finally purchased one several years ago.  But like most of my endeavors with gardening, it failed to flourish. I was greatly disappointed.  After doing a little research I realized that I had planted it in too shady an area.  Two summers ago I transplanted it to a section which receives sun for most of the day. Knowing my basset boys as well as I do, a tiny wire fence was erected around the bush to keep them from "marking" the bush as theirs.

And here is the result of all my efforts:
                                                                        

Aren't they just plain gorgeous?  Oh how I wish you could smell the sweet aroma that is now filling my kitchen from a few branches I cut before dinner and placed in a vase on the table.
Heaven on Earth!





1 comment: