Friday, April 6, 2012

Go Grandmom's house.....

Granddaughter M loves coming to Grandmom and Grandad's house. And of course the Englishman and I just love having her! But it is not just the attention of her grandparents that M seeks when she arrives.

After telling her mother, "You can go now,Mommy" as soon as she is in the door, she announces "Grandmom, we go downstairs now." Because M is anxious to go play with Grandmom's toys!

One of the first items she heads for is my dollhouse. Years ago, during summer vacations, the Englishman used to spend time at the kitchen table of our beach house putting together remote control cars. The kids enjoyed watching him at work and then later racing them around. During a family outing to the toy/hobby store to get some parts, I spotted a model kit for a dollhouse. Growing up, my sister had a metal dollhouse and I had a Barbie cardboard house. I never let on that I would have liked a wooden dollhouse. Despite now being an adult, I thought "better late than never" and purchased the kit. My plan was to put the house together myself, working on it across the table from the Englishman and his cars. I also had visions of being a good role model for the kids, that women are handy too!

Though I was determined to complete the house all on my own, the Englishman quickly noted that the process was terribly slow and offered his help. I put my pride in my pocket, and with a sigh of relief, turned it over to him. He had it together in no time and I plunged in with decorating it. We purchased a special table and turntable for the little house and kept it on display in our home for many years. It gave me all the pleasure I anticipated it would.

What I didn't foresee was that it would be such a source of fun with grandchildren. (Who has time to think that far ahead when you are raising little ones!) M sits quietly next to the house, patiently naming each of the items it holds and moving them from room to room. There are two tiny dog figures and she places them in the crib, then decides they need a bath. She is fascinated with opening and closing doors and drawers and discovering hidden treasures inside them.

If there is a children's toy you missed out on growing up, take my advice and purchase it. You're never too old to have the childhood you always wanted. Besides, there might be some grandkids in your future who would love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment