Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Foto....


Many years ago, my Dad purchased a wooden gate with the intention of placing on the side of the house, separating the front yard from the back, alongside a very large hedge of yews.
I was his assistant in this endeavor and we got as far as digging the hole for the post to which said gate would be attached.  By the end of our dig, I was literally lying on the ground, with the full extension of my right arm descending deep into the earth.  It was not an easy task.  I do remember lots of detailed instruction from him as he stood over me about how I should be doing it and actually, a lot of laughs, too.

Needless to say, I was a little disappointed that my efforts were for naught because the post never did go in and the gate was placed on a shelf in the garage.  And there it stayed for over forty years.

Until we started renovating the "retirement house".  Unhappy with the small black plastic one in place on our side yard, I asked my mother if I could have the gate and finally put it to use, a thought which pleased her very much.

Thanks to the skill and ingenuity of the Englishman, the gate is now the core part of our new entrance to the side yard.  He was able to use it as the central piece of what has become a much larger gate, adding new pickets to either side and firming it all up with metal hardware.

I haven't decided yet how we will finish it.  I often like to live with things for a while before making a final decision.  But at the moment, its enough for me just to have it there, along with all the sweet memories it brings -  the labor of the two most important men in my life.

1 comment: