Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wednesday's Wisdom....

Talk about it.....

It's taken me many years to learn the value of talking about thing that are bothering me, whether they be a problem or a worry.  "A problem (worry) shared is a problem (worry) halved" is a popular proverb.  And I've actually found it to be true, when I've put it into practice.

"I don't want to bother anyone" or "It's no big deal" or "No, really, I'm fine".  Sound familiar?

Those are often excuses I've used to keep things inside, swirling in my head.  Experience (as well as the Englishman) tells me, that's not a very good place for me to keep them.

It doesn't have to be that I'm necessarily looking for some sort of answer. Oftentimes, it is enough just to say something out loud, to have another person listen and nod.  To clear it out of my head so to speak, so I can look at it and possibly find some sort of solution or at least peace.

I've learned that having the courage, taking the time, or being just so filled with something that I think I'll explode, and talking about it can bring tremendous relief.  More often than not, things are not always as bad as I imagine them to be.  It's just that I might need someone else's perspective to see that. 

In addition, through the experience of sharing with others my "stuff", I've learned that there is often a benefit not only to me, but to the listener.  Sometimes, my sharing has given the other person the opportunity, or even the self permission they need, to open up about what is filling their head at the moment.

Talking about it - getting it off one's chest - dumping - are key watchwords for me to remember when my head starts to fill with all manner of imaginings.  Maintaining a "clear head," devoid of worry, allows room for the lovelier aspects of life to reside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment