Monday, March 4, 2013

A Monday memory....



During our many years of marriage the Englishman has spent a fair amount of time traveling "across the pond"and literally, around the world on business.  (Perhaps that's one of the reasons why we've been married many years.) I've learned to take advantage of these separations to do extensive projects, slack off a bit on the everyday housework, and stay up just a wee bit later watching shows like Gilmore Girls which I know the Englishman has zero interest in.

Daughter #1 was just a toddler when the Englishman finally got his Green Card and was able to exit and reenter the US freely.  It was around this same time that I started a tradition of sorts, which carried on for years actually.  Soon after the Englishman's departure, I would pack up my little one, hop in the car and off we'd go to the bakery.  
Yes, first stop, the local bakery, where I would purchase a chocolate cake.  
An entire chocolate cake.  
And nearly all of it was just for me.

Now in those early years, the combination of youth and chasing after kids kept me from packing on the pounds while indulging in my love of all things chocolate.  Unfortunately, those days are far behind me.  So I've had to give up the excursions to the bakery.

The Englishman and daughter #1 are currently on an eleven day business trip.  The temptation is strong to run off to the shops and stock up, especially since I heard earlier there may be yet another storm headed our way mid-week.  But so far, I've resisted.

M and I made brownies yesterday during her weekly visit to Grandmom's house.  I must say, I was very good, didn't sample any of the delicious squares and sent the entire batch home with her.  

Not gonna lie.  I was regretting that decision about seven o'clock last night.

Thank goodness I had my stash of Cadbury's dark chocolate in the kitchen drawer.

2 comments: