Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....

"The word 'no' is a complete sentence."

No.
Not, "No, I really can't do it because I have to ..........."
Just "No."

The Englishman and I were catching up on some television shows we had recorded and were watching   The Good Wife.  During this particular episode, a prosecutor asked the opposing defense attorney if she would like to have dinner.  She paused, thought for a moment and said simply, "No."
He then pressed her and inquired, "May I ask why?"
She smiled sweetly and again said, "No."
I thought her response was wonderful!

I used to think it was sort of rude not to give explanations when having to refuse to do something or go somewhere.  Yet when I think about it, anytime I say "yes", I don't then go on to explain why or whatever.  So perhaps there are occasions when a no is enough.

While talking with a family member last week about a situation, I suggested they pass on those words of advice that have been of help to me lately.  That simply saying "No" is in fact a complete sentence.  That we have a right to take a moment, think over a request and then decide how we wish to answer.  And that we also have a right to just answer and not explain.

I've learned, for me, that if I do decide to say "yes" I need to remember that it was in fact a choice I made and that I can not blame anyone else for that or go forth with some sort of resentment.

First, I must listen.....then pause and think.....then respond.
Yes or no.
The choice is always mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment