Monday, March 25, 2013

A Monday memory....



Time to make the coffee.....

I suddenly had a flashback this morning as I was counting out the scoops to fill our coffee maker. I first learned to make coffee while in the fifth grade at school.  Yes, at school.  My teacher was in charge of the coffee makers, similar to the one above, that each resided in both the "Lay Teachers" lunchroom and the "Nuns" lunchroom."  (I attended Catholic school.)  I was one of several students who was assigned to make sure there was fresh coffee at lunchtime for the staff.  Once trained, my daily task was to watch the clock and quietly slip out of the classroom and into the Teachers Room. There, I would fill the basket from the gigantic can of coffee sitting on the shelf, add the correct amount of water, and turn the machine on.  

I can't begin to tell you what that job did for me.  I felt pride for being chosen to handle such a responsibility and a real sense of accomplishment each day I followed through.  Now, I'm sure there would be many people who would shake their heads and say that my "job" took time away from my school work.  But I would argue that the valuable lessons I learned from the experience could not be found in any book.

The Englishman is probably grateful for my training too, as he arrives in the kitchen quite early each morning to find that the coffee is made and ready to be poured.

1 comment:

  1. Learning the fine art of brewing coffee is a basic life skill.

    ReplyDelete