Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tip for a Tuesday....

Turn the music on....     

This afternoon found me in the kitchen cooking and baking up a storm.  Whenever the Englishman is traveling my usual habit is to put the television on while I'm in there, tuned into the news channel.  In case there is, you know, a bombing, tsunami, flight delays, etc.  Seriously. But today I decided to take a break from worry and instead decided to listen to some tunes.

We subscribe to Direct TV and they have a long list of music channels from which to choose.  Except for holiday time, I always go to the '60's channel.  The Beatles, Herman's Hermits, The Hollies and Beach Boys can transport me back to the carefree Summer days of my youth.

My daughters and former students will tell you I have been known to break out and dance without warning.  I confess, I found myself rockin and rollin around the room this afternoon.  Thankfully the three basset hounds currently in my care were not alarmed, taking my performance in their stride.

I've also discovered there is a channel on Direct TV called "The Playground" which plays current children's music as well as some classics.  The Englishman and I put it on for M a few weeks ago to enjoy while eating her lunch.  Her face lit up when she heard some familiar songs, calling out, "Grandmom, it's the Movers song!"  I think it's so important to expose kids to music early and play as much variety as possible.

So my tip?  Turn on the old songs and move around the floor.  Not only is it a wonderful mood booster, it's also a great way to burn off a few calories!

4 comments:

  1. I love this, and am also known to dance around the house...and sing, too! Ernie knows I'm ready to play when I dance around, and sometimes gets up to romp around with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Nancy! Dancing is the best - whether your partner is two-legged or four!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well since my dancing prowess is legendary I think it's a good move (get it) to dance with the four legged partners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's that English sense of humour for which you are legendary!

      Delete