Friday, December 16, 2011

And then there were three....

The night the Englishman and I were preparing to go and tell my parents we were engaged, I suddenly turned to him in the car and said, "Now, I've said I want three children.  If that's going to be a problem you better let me know now."  His reply?  "Have the first one and then let's see how you feel."

Sixteen months later we had the first one.  After we brought daughter #1 home, I said, "Still want to have three."  Daughter #2 came along three years later.  But she didn't feel like a "last baby" as she grew.

Then came daughter #3.  By the time she was sitting up, I said "Now this child is definitely a last baby."

My "baby" has surprised me many times over the years as she has grown from a darling resembling a Pixie Doll to the beautiful woman she is today.  First, we certainly didn't expect a third baby to arrive six days past her due date, cutting it awfully close to Christmas.  Growing up, one would expect her to want to be like her sister nearest in age, but she insisted on trying to imitate the sister six years her senior!  
And funny!!!  She should have been on television.  She had the most infectious laugh and was quite the comedian.  Still is!

When she was a toddler, I gave her the nickname, "Shorty".  I just knew it was what my Dad would have called her, had he been alive to watch her grow.  On the height charts, she was in the 98th percentile!  As she grew and grew and grew, she soon passed her older sisters and is almost a hair taller than her Dad.  I think Shorty suits her perfectly!



Daughter #3 grew into an amazing woman.  She endured some tough times growing up, but has demonstrated incredible courage, strength and resilience.  She knows exactly who she is, what she wants to do and is not afraid to try.  She is very much like her Grandfather and Father in that respect.

Some of my most treasured moments of joy in life are listening to her giggle.  Truly.

Happy Birthday, Shorty!  May this year as you prepare to get married be filled with all your dreams coming true.  And may you receive from others the abundance of happiness that you have brought into all our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment