Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday's thought for the day....

     "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...."
                         
                          Rudyard Kipling


This is only part of the first line of a poem titled "If" by Kipling.  But it is the part that kept running thru my mind today.

Actually, the first thought that popped into my head as I approached the Fashion Center around noontime:  What was I thinking????  It's only a few weeks before Christmas and Lord and Taylor's is having a sale!  Are you crazy???

The parking lot was packed.  I mean there wasn't a space to be found, not even if you were willing to sell a kidney.  But I persevered.  For one thing, I had only a few items to purchase.  But more importantly, I had a 25% off coupon, with 10% off cosmetics - a rare deal. AND a $15 bonus card.  I had to shop!

There were women everywhere - all sizes, shapes and ages.  And each with a different level of patience and tolerance.

I don't know if it's because I'm a grandmother, life experience has taught me some lessons, or that I could hear the Englishman in my head whispering "Just relax", but I made a conscious effort to remain calm.  Boy was I calm!  I waited patiently to be waited on.  I smiled at each and every person I came in contact with.  I even joked with a gentleman seated at a make-up counter, asking if he was ahead of me and teasing that surely he must be looking for some makeup for himself.

And it worked!  I tried to exude an attitude of peace and goodwill and that is exactly what I received.  I made all the purchases I needed to and even got a bonus gift I hadn't expected from one of the cosmetic people.  Mission accomplished!

Of course, any additional shopping I may have to do will be accomplished online.  I'm not going to press my luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment