Thursday, December 15, 2011

Must See Christmas Films

After tucking granddaughter M into bed Monday night while babysitting, I was delighted to come upon "White Christmas" while surfing through the television channels.  Now the Englishman would probably tell you I've seen this film about a hundred times (only a slight exaggeration), but I still enjoy it - all of it - the dancing, the singing, the sets and costumes, and yes, even"the schmaltz".


If you've never seen it, give yourself a treat and look for it in the weeks to come.  I'm sure they will be showing it again.  Which they did that night, actually.  Right after the conclusion of the first showing!

So I started to think about what other films I try to view during this season and came up with a list.  These are in no particular order, only as I remember them. (Which seems to be harder to do these days...remember things!)

1. White Christmas - Love Bing Crosby's and Danny Kaye's version of "Sisters"
2. Love Actually  - trust me, watching Englishman Hugh Grant dance is reason enough
3. Home Alone - only because I love the house.  The Englishman always says "Only you would notice the candlesticks or those curtains in the background. "
4. A Charlie Brown Christmas - It brings back such wonderful memories and I love the message
5. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - again, for the memories and the incredible graphics at the time it was made.
6. The Bishop's Wife - because I love Cary Grant (also an Englishman, notice a pattern?)
7. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - still makes me laugh
8. Ziggy's Gift - brings back memories of daughter #1, aged three, loving it and watching it over and over and over...
9.  Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol - again, childhood memories...
10. Muppet's Christmas Carol - hilarious, and I'm a huge fan of Michael Caine (oh dear, again, an Englishman)
11. Miracle on 34th Street - two versions, Natalie Wood and Mara Wilson - LOVE the houses
12. The Bells of St. Mary's - gets me every time the old priest sees his Irish mother - incredibly sweet
13. Polar Express - love the animation and the songs
14. While You Were Sleeping - just a sweet chick film
15.  It's a Wonderful Life - the angel is my favorite character

I hope I've inspired you to revisit a favorite or search out a new movie to watch.  I know what I'll be doing this weekend.  Enjoy!

1 comment: