Monday, December 26, 2011

Boxing Day

One would like to think of Boxing Day in England as being like this:




But I suspect it is more like this:



Similar to the U.S. "Black Friday" shopping experience which follows Thanksgiving.

In doing a little research, there seem to be varied reasons as to what Boxing Day actually means and why it is celebrated.  They range from it being a day in which the collections taken up for the poor in Alms boxes are distributed or the day the gentry presents gifts to their servants or a day off for paid workers who had to work on Christmas Day.

But in our house, it is simply an extension of Christmas Day.  We eat leftovers, watch movies, polish off the trifle and just generally relax.

Whatever the reason, I am grateful for another day of rest.  I also like to look back over the previous year and put myself in the proper frame of mind for the new year approaching.
I feel very blessed for all that I have learned and experienced in 2011 and am very hopeful about the future.  I sincerely hope you are as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment