Monday, December 5, 2011

A Christmas Past....

Funny how, especially this time of year, something can bring you back to an earlier memory with such vividness it's as if it only happened yesterday. But this one didn't. In fact, it's been decades since this excursion happened.

It was my first Christmas season away from home, as a freshmen in college.  My roommate was feeling as homesick as I was.  To cheer us up, she suggested we take a trip into Boston.  I had never been there, so the prospect was both exciting and a little daunting.

We walked the mile from campus into town one Saturday morning to catch the bus to Boston.  (I know, girls.  Up hill.  Both ways.  In the snow. But I know for a fact it was a mile because my Dad had clocked it for me.) First stop after our arrival  - Jordan Marsh.  I don't even know if that department store still exists, but it was one of those must see stops if you were shopping in Bean Town.  Plus, I used to get a giggle when my roommate would pronounce the store's name, with her Massachusetts accent - Jordin Maaaarsh!  Another must see was the famous Filene's Basement.  It was overwhelming!  I'd never seen so many shoppers before! After admitting it was all just too much, I approached a couple of security guards and asked where the exit was.  They just laughed at me!!  Needless to say, I've never been back.

We spent the entire day going shop to shop and just generally exploring.  Now we were far from "comfortable" in those days money wise.   So it was very lucky indeed that my Guardian Angel had whispered in my ear when we first got off the bus, and I suggested to my roommate that we put the bus fare needed for the return trip in our shoes.  Literally.  Thank goodness, because as darkness fell and we wearily headed for the bus station, we discovered we had spent ALL our money, except for the fares in our shoes!

When we got back to the dorm, we unpacked our purchases. We strung the lights we had bought across the windows and decorated a little fake tree with lights and ornaments, all of which we had pooled our resources to buy.  It started to feel a bit more cosy in the room, with a touch of the familiar and comforting decorative accents.  We completed the scene by drinking Carnation hot chocolate ("borrowed" from the cafeteria) and watched "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" on a small black and white tv.  It had probably preempted the Mary Tyler Moore show that night.  (Who is Mary Tyler Moore?  If you don't know, you are too young to have watched one of the best series ever to air on television - I urge you to check it out on Hulu.)

My roommate and I actually talked yesterday on our cell phones - just shows how times have changed from the rotary phones in the dorm.  Seems we always pick up right where we left off, no matter how long between calls.  What a wonderful gift on a Sunday afternoon to laugh and share old memories.   May it always be so, for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment