Friday, January 20, 2012

Passing the torch....


Today will be a new experience for me.  Daughter #2 and her oldest, M, are picking me up and we are heading off to the movies to see "Beauty and the Beast".  Seems like only yesterday that I was the one picking up my mother, with little girls in tow, and heading off to the movie theater.  How times have changed...

The last Disney movie the girls and I went to see together was back in August of 1995.  "Pocahontas" was debuting and we were all very excited, hoping to get tickets on opening day.  We were still on vacation at the beach, the Englishman having returned home early to deal with a couple of crisis that had arisen.

I hate to admit it, but I became one of "those mothers" that rainy day.  As I recall, I think we had to wait in the car during the first showing, then I had to line up with other mothers outside while getting soaked, the theater was packed, and none of it was going the way I envisioned.  But I was determined that my girls and I would see the film, that day, and have somewhat decent seats in the process.  It all turned out well in the end, I think, but it was somewhat of an ordeal to achieve what I wanted.

So here we are, in 2012, and now I'm the Grandmother, being driven about by one of my daughters.  And while I absolutely cherish all the times I have spent with my children, I am also looking forward to this new role and all the joys it will bring.

Just hope I remember not to get in on the driver's side when we leave the movie theater today....

No comments:

Post a Comment