Monday, January 16, 2012

"What's the word, hummingbird?"

Have you ever read about people, mostly women, who choose a "word" for the coming year - a word that will serve as an inspiration or guide for an area of their life they want to work on, improve or enjoy?  When I first read that I thought I couldn't possibly come up with only a single word - I would need an entire book!  But since the first of this year I keep hearing the word "simplify" in my head.  In order to quiet my mind, I've decided to just go with it and make it mine.

Simplify

Webster says that to simplify, one is going to: make simple; to reduce to basic essentials; to diminish in scope or complexity.

On the one hand, that sounds very basic, almost easy to me.  Yet if I continue to ponder it too long I can twist it into some sort of giant project or overwhelming task.  Then I tell myself, "just breathe" and get back to basics.

To begin with, I've decided to make my house the place where I start to simplify.  Clearing out, rearranging, lining up, and learning to do without are my guidelines.  I've been working on my office for a couple of days and I'm actually starting to enjoy what they call, "the fullness of nothing" on the tops of the tables and desks.  It feels somewhat freeing.  I like it!

I'm really going to stick with this because I can see already that the rewards will far outweigh the uncomfortableness of doing something new.  Making changes...

Oh, just one more thing.  Looking for a wonderful new blog to follow? (in addition to mine, hopefully).  I would like to turn your attention to "My Blog List", located on the lower right hand side of this blog.  If you click on "My Hands and Heart Are Full" you will meet a wonderful young mother, whose heart and hands truly are full with a husband, school age son, and beautiful new daughter who was born with Down Syndrome.  Beth and I used to teach together at the same school several years ago.  I still remember her first baby shower!  She is hoping to gain new followers and in doing so would love to raise awareness about Down Syndrome.  Please take a few moments to go to her blog and become a follower.  Her strength, honesty and love will inspire you!

No comments:

Post a Comment