Monday, January 14, 2013

A Monday memory....

A bit of British drama....

Shortly after the Englishman and I became engaged, he rented and moved into a condo in my town, so as to eliminate the extra hour spent commuting to and from his previous residence.  The poor man was getting little sleep as it was, between long hours at work and trying to spend all his "free" time with me, so every minute less spent traveling was of enormous help.

This now meant that some of our time together could be spent curled up on his couch, watching television.  The Englishman was delighted to discover that the local PBS station entertained viewers with British programming.  The shows they provided were not always ones currently running in England, but were a few years old.  In this instance, age didn't matter; it was just nice for him to see something of home.

The first series we got hooked on was called, When The Boat Comes In.  The story took place in the North East of England in the 1920's.  There were two main characters, Jack, a veteran of World War I  and Jessie, a school teacher.  


The "will they make it, won't they make it" together as a couple scenario left one wishing the week would fly by in order to discover how things were progressing.  So I was delighted when the Englishman's parents came over for a visit and I discovered my future mother-in-law was as big a fan as I was of the series.

Since the show had been airing for several years already in England, she was well aware of the various twists and turns to the upcoming storyline.  Mum was very patient with me and all the questions I put to her, trying to detect what might be next.  Sometimes I would probe concerning a character I was worried about and she would smile, saying, "Oh don't worry, luv, it'll be alright in the end for him."

Mum knew I didn't really want to know the details from her. It was far more exciting to watch and discover them for myself.  Which brings me to my silence about Downton Abbey.

Because I know....
I've seen every episode of Season Three.  And the Christmas Special.


Which is all I will say on the subject.
I don't want to spoil a minute of it for anyone.
You'll simply have to watch and find out for yourself.

1 comment: