Monday, January 28, 2013

A Monday memory....

Last week, my 89 year old mother shared with me a question my sister had put to her in teasing.  "How is it you can remember all the words to a song from seventy years ago, yet have trouble with remembering something I told you this morning?"  This query followed my mother's rendition of a song she had known as a young girl, which apparently she had just entertained my sister and her husband with.

Don't most of us find that to be true?  You can't remember where you put your keys, but just let someone mention the title of a song you listened to in high school and every word comes back to you.

While talking with some friends the other day, the conversation went from Les Misérable the movie to its theater production to Hugh Jackman to the play The Boy From Oz to Peter Allen, one of my absolute favorite performers ever.  Next thing I know, two of us are singing the lyrics to "I Go To Rio," hardly missing a beat.

Since the Englishman is currently in London, I decided to take advantage of his absence this morning and I turned on the record player in the living room. Elton John and Carole King began to fill the room with memories from as far back as 1970.  The lyrics, as well as the skipping, were as familiar as if I'd  heard them last week. 


Now if I could just remember my new zip code as easily as I remember those tunes.....

Oh, "skipping" on a record?  Part of the charm of vinyl. 
And the good old days.






No comments:

Post a Comment