Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom...

Baby, it's cold outside.....

Remember the old days, when during the frosty days of winter your parents would pile so many clothes on you they could hardly find your face?  Similar to the gear Miss M was sporting last year. 


Hats, mittens attached with little clips, scarves, snowsuits and boots.  When I was little, we wore rubber boots that went over our shoes.  Since the snow was often quite deep in our area, the boots were pretty useless.  Snow inevitably found its way inside, leaving me with wet and freezing feet.  My Dad's solution?  Electrical tape.  Seriously.  He would wind several layers around the top of the boot, securing it tightly to my leg.  It worked like a charm.  And I could have cared how it looked.  I was warm and dry.  

Fast forward to the teen years and suddenly how I looked became of grave importance.  Snowsuits?  Horrors!  I refused to wear either a hat or gloves, left my coat wide open and my uniform skirt hiked up.  Which led to frozen thighs, I can tell you.  Oh, but I looked good, right?

Except when there was shoveling involved and no risk of being seen by my peers.  Then it was back to "bundling", as demonstrated back in the blizzard of '78.


As happens to most of us, the circle has come around again.  I've long since reached the age where I would much rather be warm than stylish.  This morning I dressed in flannel lined jeans, three shirts, scarf, gloves, and the warmest winter coat I own.  And I just now noticed, the hat I pulled down tightly on my head is the same one I was wearing in the photo above.  

Some things never do go out of style.


1 comment: