Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tip for a Tuesday....

A Gratitude Journal.....

For several years now I've been keeping a gratitude journal of sorts.  I begin the New Year with a clean calendar book or blank journal book, and write in it every evening after dinner.  I write 5 things I'm glad have happened that day - things like: I'm glad the Englishman was able to put the spare tire on the truck, I'm so glad M is feeling better, it was nice to see the birds at the feeder again this morning, what a treat it was to watch the fireworks festivities over the Thames in London last night on tv.  You get the idea.

Committing myself to writing only five sentences makes it an easier task to fulfill.  Were I to try and write a short synopsis of the day, I would probably put it off.  Another bonus? My accumulated journals have given me wonderful reference in which to look back on a particular year or period of time.  

What I've also found is that the practice often helps to really put my life in perspective. I sometimes catch myself looking for things during the day, smiling and saying, "That's another one for the list tonight."  If it's been a difficult day, taking the time to sit and write down about only the good often turns my mood around and helps me to realize that the scales are always tipped in favor of the positives.  There in front of me, I can see that I truly have much to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment