Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wednesday's wisdom....





Fog........

Heavy fog rolled into our area during the night.  I crept out early in my Mini to meet a friend for coffee.  The words of Yukon Cornelius, in Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, came to mind as I inched my way along the road.  He described the fog he encountered, "..... as thick as peanut butter."

Driving under those conditions gave me a few things to ponder later in the day.  The first, immense gratitude for all the driving tips my Dad passed on to me during the many miles we logged together.  Thankfully, I paid attention when he cautioned me about how to handle changing weather conditions, and to always be aware of the other cars around me and what they, via inattentive drivers, might potentially do.

Then I thought about how fog forces you to slow down, to only see what is directly in front of you, to draw more intently upon all your senses, to be vigilant.

Life can feel like I'm traveling through fog sometimes.  Those periods when I've been forced to slow down, to deal with only what is happening at that very moment and not look too far down the road for what may be coming.  Times when I have had to be very focused on what I'm doing, and to heed any signs or warnings from people around me.

And then, like this morning, to feel an immense sense of relief when I've safely navigated my way through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment