Thursday, October 13, 2011

He's created a monster....

Are you a "gamer", I believe is the expression?  Someone who plays video games for hours on end?  The first video game I ever played was "pong" which gives you a clue as to how old I am!  For you young people, it was just a white ball on a dark screen that you would bounce back and forth - like ping pong.  It moved around even when no one was playing, making a "boop, boop" noise.  Mesmerizing, as well as, frankly, annoying.

A few months ago the Englishman was kind enough to pass on an early edition of the iPad to me.  Took a bit of time for me to get the hang of it, but now I am hooked.  Unfortunately, he downloaded a game for me recently.  It's about horses.  My oldest granddaughter is obsessed with horses so his pitch to me that it was essentially for her, to play when she and I spend time together.  Yeah, right.  That was the idea.  It has not been the result.

Yes, M has played with it a few times.  Despite being just shy of 3 years, she needed no instruction how to open, play, and close the game.  Unlike Grandmom.  The problem is that you do certain tasks in which to earn coins and gems, and then move up to the next level.  I hate to admit this, but the thing is addictive!  I keep telling the Englishman I am working feverishly in order to accumulate more horses for M, but I'm beginning to doubt my own words!  And they make the silly thing almost life-like.  The horses are beautiful and gallop gracefully around the paddock....

See what I mean?  So before this gets out of hand, I'm going to take a break for a while.  Let the horses look after themselves. I'm proud to be known as quite a few things, Mom, Grandmom, former teacher.  But gamer is not one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment