Friday, October 28, 2011

Before and after.....

I am known in my family for my deep seated fear of heights.  That fear covers many areas, from bridges to balconies, motorways to mountaintops.  And I discovered it also covered staircases, when we purchased our retirement home.

As you can see from the photos, the original staircase had open spindles, which we quite wobbly.  Try as I might, I just couldn't get used to the sensation of falling every time I went up and down.  Now I'm practical enough to realize that wasn't a reason not to buy the house, which I otherwise loved.  So after we started staying there, I hung large quilts on the bannisters upstairs so I couldn't see how far I would fall should they give way.



That didn't really seem a long term practical approach to the Englishman, so we brought in a professional and had it done up properly.  This is the result.  The carpenter raised the height of the banister going up the stairs in addition to using larger spindles.  He then built a half-wall on the top landing and at his suggestion, covered it in bead board.  Not only does it feel 100% secure to me now, it also looks fabulous and in keeping with the relaxed beach theme I'm going for.  It also gives peace of mind to middle daughter and I concerning the grandchildren.  

Good decision, as they say.




No comments:

Post a Comment