Saturday, October 15, 2011

Surprise!

The Englishman and I have come down to our "future retirement" home for the weekend. I spent the first afternoon on a productive shopping trip with daughter #1. She joined us later that evening for homemade pizza before settling in for some tv viewing and attempts at solving a British murder mystery.

She and I were a bit startled when just before 9pm there was a soft knock at the door. Even more surprising was that the Englishman opened the door without hesitation, letting the basset boys charge past him and out the door. As I peeked around the corner I was stunned to see daughter #3 standing on the threshold wearing a huge grin. Surprise! When I inquired why she was here the Englishman smiled and said that she had brought a special package. I quickly looked behind her and was relieved to discover that my first thought was incorrect - and there was NOT a small puppy perched in a basket. Instead she presented me with a small corrugated box.

At the urging of the assembled family members I opened it and discovered....an iPhone! I WAS surprised - not something I was expecting. The Englishman and our youngest were extremely proud that had pulled off their covert mission. Daughter #3 had even come up with a name - "operation beagle" (no doubt she has the English sense of humor gene!)

I am enjoying the new phone, learning about all the apps and features, and loving the instant access it gives me to new photos of my granddaughters. But the part of the surprise I am most grateful for was the chance to have an unexpected visit with our youngest

No comments:

Post a Comment