Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Super Sunday!


Come Autumn, Sundays in the US are generally set aside for NFL football watching.  Daughter #2 is a HUGE Giants fan and a fan of football all around.  My oldest granddaughter doesn't seem to share her mother's love of the game.  In fact, lately, she has been saying, "Ah Mommy, no more football!".  So her Grandad came up with a wonderful idea - why not have a special visit with Grandmom on Sunday afternoons.  And today was our first "special time".

I went down early to the house so I could visit with Baby C first.  Grandad popped in for a quick visit too. After he left, I gathered up some things for M and we set off to walk to Grandmom's house.  I scooped her up as we came in, to avoid the basset hounds knocking her down.  She giggled away telling the boys, "Get down, easy guys, you're ok, buddy".

M has a regular routine when she comes to Grandmom's house - with having certain areas she likes to check on.  First it's the kitchen and the collection of British cars and double decker buses.  We look at the photographs and play with the fridge magnets.  Then on to the living room and the special basket I keep with toys for M by the fireplace.  Next, it's my office - quick plunking of the piano keys, then on to the computer.  But there was an extra special stop planned today - baking!

After donning our aprons, it was time to fetch the step stool and get to work.  I was pleased M let me guide her hands through most of the steps in making brownies and kept her attention focused on the task at hand. While waiting for them to bake, we went and played with Grandmom's train set and doll house.  (I married a Prince - he bought those for me when it came up in conversations over the years I had always wanted them since childhood!)

We came back to the kitchen just as the brownies were done.  Naturally we had to eat some, just to be sure they were good.  We packed up the rest for M's Mommy and Daddy and walked back down to her house.  By the time we got to her driveway, she said, "Grandmom, I'm too tired to go up the steps."  I was happy to deliver her back just in time for a nap, so her Mommy could get a little more rest.

What a joy it is every time I am able to just sit and play with M, totally absorbed in the moment and what she is doing.  There never seemed to be enough of those moments when my girls were small.  I treasure every minute I have with her and Baby C!

No comments:

Post a Comment