Saturday, October 1, 2011

Go Army!!!



Now it may seem strange that I would be rooting for a college football team, since I never followed sports as a child and have raised three daughters whose main pursuits were ballet and gymnastics.  Truthfully, I don't know very much about the game.  But I have my reasons.

My nephew attended and graduated from West Point.  My mother used to make a great fuss over my nephew and his friends when they would stay at her home for weekends during the school year.  I used to ask her why.  Having lived through World War II, she said you had to look after the boys who would be protecting our country.  I used to say to her that in all likelihood, they would have cushy jobs over in Germany while serving out their time after graduation.  As it turned out, my mother was right and I wrong.

My nephew was in his senior year, part of the Bicentennial Class, on September 11, 2001.  The Academy was immediately put into lock-down that day.  The lives of everyone in my family and extended family changed dramatically that day, but that is for a different post.  One thing we knew for sure - the men and women of my nephew's class would be going to war.

We used to watch the football games on tv when my nephew was at the Academy, especially the Army-Navy game.  It's quite a sight to see, row upon row of all the cadets in the stands.  But I continued to watch and follow the games even after he graduated.  It just seemed important.  As I look at the young men on the team and sidelines, I know that it won't be long before many of them will be in a war zone.  So I hope for a win, for the cheers to go up, and for the men and women to feel joy and pride in their academy and fellow cadets.  I'd like to think that a win could carry them through their gruelling week until the next game, with a spring in their march.  I know it's just a game, but for the men and women of all the service academies, perhaps it's a bit more.  A chance for some happy memories before they go off to protect and serve the country they love - and those of us who know and love them.
   
                                                    GO ARMY!!!!!!!  BEAT TULANE!!!!
                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment